English Language Development (ELD)
It is our sincerest wish at the Garfield Re-2 School District that we can welcome and support all students, especially those who are learning to speak English!
- To develop English Learners’ skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing at a level equal to their peers using instructional methods rooted in best practice and research-based strategies.
- To teach English reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills to English Learners using the Colorado English Language Development Standards.
- To ensure English Learners’ access to the core content of general education via direct instruction and collaboration with classroom teachers.
- To notify parents of pertinent information and/or events about the English Language Development program and services in a manner that they may understand.
- To monitor and design program strategies to promote ongoing high graduation rates within a K-12 perspective.
- To provide opportunities for a healthy learning and sharing of the English Learners’ cultural heritage and social needs.
Why Are We Here?
We are here, in part, because of a piece of legislation called the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).
Key sections of Title III Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), reauthorized as the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) provide a focus for our efforts on behalf of children who are English learners, including immigrant children and youth. Specifically, the purposes are to:
- Help ensure that English learners, including immigrant children and youth, attain English proficiency and
- Develop high-quality LIEPs, in teaching LEP children and serving immigrant children and youth, that prepare them to enter all-English instructional settings;
- Assist in building staff capacity to establish, implement and sustain LIEPs and programs of English language development for children who are LEP; and
- Promote parental and community participation in LIEPs for the parents and communities of children who are ELs.
Our mission is to provide engaging educational experiences in a safe environment for students and staff that result in exemplary learning and teaching.
Our vision is to encourage, nurture and challenge every student, every day. In doing this, we ensure that all students are provided with engaging, quality work that results in students achieving at higher levels.